Most high school students are ready to start their first hourly jobs at the age of 16. Lifeguarding is a great first job for many reasons. I started lifeguarding when I was a sophomore in high school and continued to guard throughout high school and college. Lifeguarding taught me valuable skills that I still use today. Here are some reasons why lifeguarding is one of the best summer jobs!
- Becoming certified as a lifeguard means you learn how to save lives. At a moments notice you have to be ready to act. You never know when the next person will swallow too much water and needs your assistance. Becoming a lifeguard enables you to be the one to save a life.
- Teaches you teamwork, problem-solving, and communication, which prepares you for future jobs.
- Lifeguarding allows you bask in the sun and observe pool activities. You get to meet many different types of people and be a role model to many youth.
- Free excess to the pool! During you shifts you can jump in to cool off between stand rotations. Swim laps become your shift and come in for free on your days off.
- Breaks every 45 mins to an hour!
- Working with friends and becoming close to coworkers who you don't initially know. Building new friendships and memories that you will remember.
If you are interested in becoming a lifeguard you can find local course at https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/lifeguarding and/or The Chambersburg YMCA is offering courses in February and April. If you are already certified and seeking employment apply here: Become a Lifeguard!
Spend your summers working for SCPRA at the Shippensburg Memorial Park Pool. If you are interested and/or have any further questions please contact me at 717-530-0261 or firstname.lastname@example.org